Tuesday, November 17, 2015

So, I can’t believe what happened in Paris


So, I can’t believe what happened in Paris, but then again, sadly, I guess I can.

We all remember, well most of us who are old enough, remember where we were on September 11th. Our parents remember where they were when John F. Kennedy was assassinated. Generations before that remember Pearl Harbor… I could keep going but I’m not a history major so I’ll probably miss quite a few KBD (Kind of a Big Deal) activities. I was texted by my ABS (Atlanta Big Sister) to check out the news on Paris. In my lifetime there have been countless school shootings, including the most memorable for me, Columbine. I was afraid to go directly to the news, because I have so many fond and life changing memories from France. It breaks my heart to think of that beautiful city filled with such terror.

I have been to Paris a few times, and I spent 4 months in Aix-en-Provence, in the south of France. Every time I went to Paris, I learned something new about history, discovered something new about myself, or realized how to keep a successful relationship with family and friends. Many of my experiences may not be specific to France, but the French setting certainly left an imprint. I spent Christmas in Paris one year with one of my most cherished friends, TBS (my Texas Big Sister). We went to Christmas Eve mass at Notre Dame (running home in the drizzling streets to meet the hostel curfew). The next night, we called our families from the pay phone in the hostel and wished them all a Merry Christmas. We spent our evening drinking from mugs we obtained in Germany, talking to strangers from all over the world that we most assuredly will never see again, and our Christmas in Paris was unforgettable. I missed my plane home that trip, and cried in the Charles DeGaulle airport cursing a down arrow equaling straight ahead instead of to go down the escalator… Let’s skip over the fact that I didn’t leave enough time.

As a college student in France, I was grateful for all sorts of experiences and opinions. Each day was a brand new opportunity to learn and grow mentally and emotionally. Sitting at a café for hours working on school work, purchasing a bottle of wine and asking the grocery store owner to open it and them surprisingly offer plastic cups, relaxing in the park playing cards chatting about life and drinking the wine were common occurrences during my time in France. On the train, in the park, at the café or at my host families house, I would journal about what I had learned, what I missed about home, what I wanted to do next. Each day left me a new perspective on living in the moment and appreciating the fleeting time left in this amazing country.

Anytime I take the time to embrace the people, conversation and the setting surrounding me, I think of France and the mindset I had at that time. Selfishly, I refrained from researching the tragedy because I was afraid my favorite places were destroyed. My memories of France are light and airy, devoid of any worries of responsibilities or my future. Let me re-iterate that this is certainly selfish, but I was scared to read about the injustice and add weight to those memories… Thinking about how our country felt after 9/11, I can only imagine the affect to such a passionate set of people as the French and those who visit Paris.

Eventually I pulled up my phone and did search for news about the bombings and shootings in Paris... It did break my heart. I can only imagine the horror, much like I can only imagine what it was like in New York on September 11th, or in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. I’ve never been directly impacted by such horrific events, but I do see the ripple effect. The problem is, there are so many horrific events throughout the years and increasingly, it seems, these days, why do we ever raise our flag all the way? In many cities, these types of attacks are daily occurrences. Why does our world suck so much?

At one time I had heard they may call the latest generation the “post everything” generation because they are post World War II, post the internet, post columbine, post 9/11. While the internet is great, the theme is that they are at “the tail end of a century of war and revolution” (as Nicholas Handler said in the article) two were horrible, awful things that shouldn’t be forgotten. However, these horrible, no good, (Can I add frightening?), very bad things just keep getting piled on with other horrible, no good, frightening, very bad things, WTF?! Even if it’s unlikely, these attacks in Paris could possibly kick off a world war III, which is terrifying.

For a sliver of hope, there are also random acts of kindness in the world… Once, I was having tea/lunch with two of my good friends in Dublin, Texas and a couple of seasoned women thought we were sweet and unexpectedly covered the cost of our lunch. Another time, a boy in college went out of his way to hold a door open for me (it felt kind and helpful, not anti-feminist;). I know of many occasions when my husband has stopped to help a stranger in need on the side of the road; he’s obvi a better person than I am.

So, in an effort to do my small part to battle the sadness in the wake of the bombings in Paris, I will try to do something kind for a stranger and I will reflect on my life and journal like a girl on a train heading on a new adventure.  #PrayForParis


#takenwithafilmcamera
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment, and let me know if you'd like to be a guest blogger! Especially if youhave an alternative experience that you'd like to share on a topic i've covered.